1. 318 14th St NE (Grant Wood)
After the death of Grant Wood’s father, his family moved in 1901 from the farm in Anamosa to Cedar Rapids. Hattie Wood and her children (Grant, Nan, Frank and Jack) initially lived with Grant’s grandparents, DeVolson and Nancy Weaver (See #6). Hattie purchased this home on 14th Street on February 1, 1902 from Mary and William Adams. The price was $2,580. The home once had a front porch that was removed by the mid-1970’s.
Hattie Wood purchased most of the remainder of the half block between the alley and C Ave NE and between 14th and 15th Streets in April 1902 for $900. Grant Wood attended the old Polk School (built 1893) one block away at 1500 B Ave NE. While in the eighth grade at Polk, he won third place in a national art contest. The old Polk building was demolished c. 1970 and the current Polk School buildings were post World War II additions to the older building.
This was also the home Grant Wood lived in while attending the old Washington High School south of Greene Square Park in downtown Cedar Rapids. Grant graduated from “Old Washington” in 1910. He drew much of the artwork seen in the school’s 1909 and 1910 yearbooks. After high school, Wood lived occasionally in this neighborhood for several years. In 1916, Grant’s mother Hattie suffered financial difficulties and this home was foreclosed and then sold on May 18th of that year.