13. 1544 B Ave NE (John B. Turner)
John Bissell Turner, father of Grant Wood’s benefactor David Turner, was a local pioneer in the concept of the “funeral home,” as opposed to the long tradition of having funeral services in the private home of the deceased. While living here in the early 1900’s, Turner conducted some mortuary work in the Basement before the Turner Funeral Home was established in the old Douglas/Sinclair mansion at 800 Second Ave. SE. As late as 1992, embalming fluid pipes were still evident in the cellar of this B Ave. home.